Israelis have come together around the country to remember the second anniversary since the Hamas-led offensive on 7 October 2023, as talks continued in the neighboring country over a resolution to the conflict in Gaza.
The assault saw more than 1,200 people losing their lives and 251 others abducted away to Gaza as captives. It was the single most fatal day for Jewish people since the Holocaust.
Israel reacted by launching a military offensive in Gaza which has taken over 67,000 people, based on figures from the territory's Hamas-controlled health ministry. Its statistics are seen as reliable by the UN and other global organizations.
"Our bloodthirsty opponents have struck forcefully, but they have not broken us," the leader added on that day.
He also pledged to "accomplish all the goals of the war: the return of all the kidnapped, the elimination of the Hamas regime and the assurance that Gaza will not pose a risk to Israel".
The national leadership delayed state remembrance events until 16 October - after the completion of the religious holiday season - but events still occurred across the country on Tuesday.
A commemorative event for the loved ones of Israeli citizens who died in the Hamas incident was organized in Tel Aviv. Arranged by the victims' relatives, it was broadcast on Israeli TV networks.
A period earlier, a moment of silence was observed throughout the country.
Simultaneously, the conflicting parties' representatives met in the North African Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh for a continuing round of mediated discussions to discuss the conditions of the agreement.
A prominent representative knowledgeable about the negotiations said that an evening round of indirect talks commenced at 19:00 Cairo time.
The representative said the earlier meeting concluded without significant progress, because of differences over the proposed Israeli retreat arrangements from Gaza and over guarantees Hamas seeks to make certain Israel does not resume hostilities after the initial stage of the arrangement.
He commented that the talks are "tough and have yet to produce any real breakthrough," but noted that mediators are making efforts to narrow the disparities between the conflicting groups.
In Tel Aviv's public square earlier, 29-year-old a woman - whose sibling survived the incident on the Nova music festival, where 378 people were killed and dozens more were abducted by Hamas gunmen - shared: "No location feels like home any longer and until all the hostages are released none of us will be secure."
"When we see all home returned, we can breathe anew. Then we can start to rebuild," she continued.
Outside the prime minister's official dwelling in Jerusalem, people gathered to show their support for the relatives of the hostages. Israel says forty-eight continue in confinement in Gaza, 20 of whom are considered to be surviving.
Activist Atalia Regev remarked: "It's necessary do whatever arrangement required for the hostages to be released. But we sincerely need assurances that we will be safe."
Opinion polls now regularly indicate that about the majority of the population prefer the conflict to finish in exchange for the freedom of the abducted.
At the site of the gathering, grieving people gathered to pay their respects.
From the site, the noise of aerial bombardments and explosions could be detected just a short distance away in Gaza, where observers indicated the heavy Israeli attacks carried on.
In Gaza City, bombardments were reported in the dawn of that day in the west side neighborhood, Rimal and zone districts and in the east side neighbourhood of Sheikh Radwan, as well the camp to the northwest.
"Once the evening falls, the dread comes with it," evacuated Gaza City resident a local woman, whose teenage son was killed by an Israeli bombing previously, shared.
"My family are fearful of the attacks. During nighttime we are resting together, clinging, especially my smallest child who puts his face on me throughout the night."
"Constantly we look at the reports to see what happened. And I'm worried that this halt will not be achieved and that the fighting will return to us."
Al-Shifa hospital in the urban area announced it had accepted the corpses of six people by the midday, including a trio who died in an Israeli strike in the south part area.
Nasser hospital in the south region of the city indicated two more dead people had been transported. A person was lost his life by Israeli troops while attempting to get help to the south region, health workers stated.
Gaza's health ministry said a significant number of the {territ
A former casino floor manager turned slot analyst, Mikael shares data-driven insights to help players make smarter betting decisions.